Could a count-down to Christmas be just what your team needs to push to the finish line this year?
With Melbourne Cup behind us, and Christmas parties now starting, it’s easy to get caught up in the silly season and lose focus on the real finish line – a strong end to 2017 for your business.
That is why it is the perfect time of year to use what we call a MiniGame to create focus, energy, and to give everyone a reason to push hard to the finish line.
MiniGames incorporate all of the elements of the Great Game of Business, but on a smaller, more concentrated scale and are a great way to rally your team around a common goal.
They’re easy to get up and running and don’t require a large budget, or a lot of additional effort on your team’s part to play.
To craft your own MiniGame, just think about these three questions:
- What is the pebble in your shoe? – this gives us our target (focus) for the game
- What is the cost of not doing anything about it? – this helps to determine the value of the game
- What does success look like? – this gives us the ideal goal to shoot for (aim)
Some examples might be:
- Targeting a specific number of upsells each week
- Reducing waste by X%
- Booking in X number of projects for the new year
Once you’ve established what you want to work on, and defined your vision of success, you simply need to create a scorecard for people to track their results – and offer a suitable prize for winning. It’s best to fit these elements around a theme (and what better theme than Christmas!) – as it adds to the fun and energy of the game.
If you’d like assistance in creating your own MiniGame to help push your team to the finish line, I’m available to run virtual (or onsite if in Brisbane) workshops tailored to your business to help you and your team create your own MiniGame. These workshops include:
- 30-minute MiniGame introduction/overview webinar running through the design process and examples, brainstorming potential MiniGame ideas to help with the “pebble in your shoe”
- Provide you with a template you can use to design your own game
- A review of your MiniGame and any feedback to assist in your design
- A half-way review call to touch base and offer any additional support
With only 6 full weeks left until Christmas, this is a great time to make sure your team are putting their focus in the area it’s most needed, and I’d love to help you end the year with a bang, so feel free to reach out to me by email – trudi [at] faculte3.com.au – if you’d like to kick it around for your workplace.